Duties and responsibilities
An inside wireman is an electrician who specializes in connecting a customers’ electrical systems to the outside power source, and then distributing that power throughout the facility. Their typical duties and responsibilities include:
- Installing new wiring
- Repairing old wiring, where needed
- Installing receptacles, lighting systems and fixtures
- Planning and installing raceway systems
- Troubleshooting and repairing electrical systems
- Planning and initiating projects
- Supervising journey-level electricians and/or apprentices
- Installing fire alarm systems
- Installing security systems
- Installing and repairing telephone and data systems
To become an inside wireman, you will first need to complete an apprenticeship program. Several groups, including unions and contractor associations, sponsor apprenticeship programs. Apprenticeship requirements vary by state and locality.
After completing an apprenticeship program, electricians are considered to be journey workers and may perform duties on their own. After meeting additional requirements and working as a qualified electrician, journey workers may advance to become master electricians and can then specialize in as an inside wireman.
Skills and relevant work experience
In order to have the best possible employment opportunities, aspiring inside wiremen should aim to get as much experience in the construction industry. They will also need skills such as:
- Physical fitness and stamina, as an inside wireman will have to carry heavy materials and will have to kneel down for long periods of time
- Detail orientation, as an inside wireman will need to follow blueprints and spot things that need replacing
- Leadership skills, as inside wiremen will need to lead other electricians (e.g., apprentices)
- Communication skills, as an inside wireman needs to be able to communicate with clients and other electricians
- Dexterity, as an inside wireman needs to carefully connect up wires
Inside wiremen tend to work full time and they may work overtime to meet deadlines. They may also have to work evenings and weekends to meet the needs of the client.
According to glassdoor, the average annual salary of an inside wireman in the United States is $42,049. This salary can range anywhere from $30,000 to $60,000 per year.
Inside wireman have already progressed to be master electricians. After this, the next logical progression step is to become self-employed and start their own business.