Duties and responsibilities
A fashion model represents brands and designers by wearing their clothing and accessories in photo shoots, commercials and runway shows. To be a fashion model requires both physical attractiveness and the ability to be elegant and graceful. Their typical duties and responsibilities include:
- Posing for photo shoots
- Filming commercials
- Participating in runway shows
- Styling clothing and makeup
- Developing and maintaining portfolios
- Travelling to gigs
There are no specific educational requirements to become a fashion model. However, fashion models will need to meet the requirements of the client.
Skills and relevant work experience
Fashion models will need skills and talents such as:
- Presentation skills, as fashion model must pose for shoots, commercials and shows so they must be aware of how they are presenting themselves
- Teamwork skills, as fashion models must work closely with designers, photographers and other fashion industry professionals
- Listening skills, as art models must listen carefully to instructions and directions
- Physical attractiveness, as models need to look elegant and poised during shoots and shows
- Physical stamina, as fashion models need to be fit enough to sit, stand or lay down in various positions
- Confidence, as models need to be able to pose in front of lots of different people
Fashion models can work full time or part time. Often, their hours and schedule may be erratic and unpredictable as they will work on different assignments.
According to salary.com, the median annual salary for a fashion model in the United States is $51,297. The lowest 10% earned less than $34,055 and the highest 10% earned more than $72,950.
Fashion models can take their career to whatever level they like. Some fashion models may only work part time and be happy with doing that. Others may decide to do this as a full time career and become successful and famous.