Duties and responsibilities
A bakery manager is responsible for overseeing operations and staffing for a bakery/bakery department. They ensure the smooth running of the bakery they work for. Their typical duties and responsibilities include:
- Monitoring the quality of goods and services
- Hiring and training staff
- Reviewing pricing and suggesting changes
- Keeping on top of supplies and purchasing new ones when needed
- Supervising bakery staff (e.g., pastry chefs, assistant bakers, till operators)
- Conducting some administrative duties (e.g., writing reports on progress, email correspondence)
To become a bakery manager, there are no formal educational requirements. Most bakery managers will have experience in as other supervising/management roles and will have experience in the industry (e.g., as a baker). To have the best opportunities, an associates degree in Culinary Arts or Baking and Pastry arts is advantageous.
Skills and relevant work experience
As well as a genuine passion for sweet treats and baked goods, bakery managers will need skills such as:
- Interpersonal skills, as bakery managers will need to communicate with their staff and build trusting relationships
- Customer service skills, as bakery managers need to ensure that all customers are served to the highest standard and that the bakery maintains an excellent reputation
- Creativity, as bakery managers need to think outside the box in regards to displays or new menus
- Leadership skills, as bakery managers will need to lead the bakery team effectively, fairly and assertively
- Analytical skills, as bakery managers need to evaluate how the bakery is performing and develop strategies for meeting targets
- Organization skills, as bakeries can be busy and stressful, and bakery managers need to ensure that all tasks are completed
Bakery managers will normally work normal full time hours. They may sometimes have to work early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays in order to supervise the bakers who are baking at that time.
According to salary.com the median annual salary for a bakery manager in the United States is $45,734. The lowest 10% earn less than $37,673 per year and the highest 10% earn more than $53,870.
Bakery managers tend to progress from lower level roles, such as bakery assistant or supervisor. They may then progress, with more experience and knowledge, to becoming an regional bakery manager, where they are in charge of a number of bakeries. Or, they may even decide to start up their own bakery.This does, however, take time and experience.