(Male, Age 36) from the colony, TX
This is a REAL-LIFE job profile written by a Male aged 36 who works as a Db/Bi Architect in the colony, TX. We have removed all names and personal information in order to protect privacy. This professional kindly spent a bit of their time to complete one of our job profile surveys so that prospective job seekers like you could read their insights. Please excuse any punctuation or grammatical errors in this profile.
At a Glance
Basic data on your current job
|Job Title||Db/Bi Architect|
|Other Compensation||None Set|
|Company Size||(not answered)|
|Location||the colony, TX|
|Years Experience||5 years|
Opinions on your CAREER overall (i.e. not just your current job)
|Years in Career||0|
|Income Rating||0 / 10|
|Interest Rating||0 / 10|
|Work-Life Rating||0 / 10|
|Fulfilment Rating||0 / 10|
Current job Q&A
Describe the type of organization you work for.
health care billing
Describe your job role and responsibilities.
(1) Creates and maintains all databases required for development, testing,
education and production usage.
(2) Performs the capacity planning required to create and maintain the
databases. The DBA works closely with system administration staff because
computers often have applications or tools on them in addition to the Oracle
(3) Performs ongoing tuning of the database instances.
(4) Install new versions of the Oracle RDBMS and its tools and any other tools
that access the Oracle database.
(5) Plans and implements backup and recovery of the Oracle database.
(6) Controls migrations of programs, database changes, reference data changes
and menu changes through the development life cycle.
(7) Implements and enforces security for all of the Oracle Databases.
(8) Performs database re-organisations as required to assist performance and
ensure maximum uptime of the database.
(9) Puts standards in place to ensure that all application design and code is
produced with proper integrity, security and performance. The DBA will perform
reviews on the design and code frequently to ensure the site standards are
being adhered to.
(10) Evaluates releases of Oracle and its tools, and third party products to
ensure that the site is running the products that are most appropriate.
Planning is also performed by the DBA, along with the application developers
and System administrators, to ensure that any new product usage or release
upgrade takes place with minimal impact.
(11) Provides technical support to application development teams. This is
usually in the form of a help desk. The DBA is usually the point of contact
for Oracle Corporation.
(12) Enforces and maintains database contraints to ensure integrity of the
(13) Administers all database objects, including tables, clusters, indexes,
views, sequences, packages and procedures.
(14) Assists with impact analysis of any changes made to the database objects.
(15) Troubleshoots with problems regarding the databases, applications and
(16) Create new database users as required.
(17) Manage sharing of resources amongst applications.
(18) The DBA has ultimate responsibility for the physical database design.
Please list an additional benefits (beyond compensation) that you receive.
3 week vacation, 5 sick leaves and Aetna HMO, ING 401k
Do you feel you are under/over or well/fairly compensated at your current position?
Does your job entail you working with others on a daily basis? Is this something you like/dislike about your job? Please explain.
Do you work collaboratively with supervisors/managers?
Do you work collaboratively with your co-workers?
Describe your work location (e.g., office, home, theatre, in the field) and what you like/dislike about working in it.
Please rate each of the following aspects of your current job on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest/best):
Job Title: 5
Level of Responsibility: 7
The Actual Work: 6
A day in the life of…
Please describe a typical workday for you in your current job:
|5am to 6am|
|6am to 7am|
|7am to 8am||check emails|
|8am to 9am||scrum meeting|
|9am to 10am||Design|
|10am to 11am||Development|
|11am to 12pm||Testing|
|12pm to 1pm||Lunch|
|1pm to 2pm||Unit Testing|
|2pm to 3pm||Alpha Testing|
|3pm to 4pm||Beta Testing|
|4pm to 5pm||Deployment|
|5pm to 6pm||User training|
|6pm to 7pm||Collect data|
|7pm to 8pm||maintenance|
|8pm to 9pm||Dinner|
|9pm to 10pm||emails|
|10pm to 11pm||emails|
|11pm to 12am||emails|
Table of Contents
How you got your job
How did you get your current job?
What was the application process?
Did you have to interview for your current job? If yes, what did the interview process entail?
3 group interviews + 1 phone interview
If you can remember, what questions were you asked during the interview?
Do you feel your employer properly prepared you for your job? Explain.
Was there training for your current position? If yes, what did it entail?
Do you feel your educational background prepared you for your job? Explain.
yes + Personal training
If applicable, do you feel your internship experience helped you prepare for your job?
If someone wanted to go about getting a job similar to yours, what would you recommend for him or her to do?
What skills do you think a person should have if they want to pursue a position like yours?
only require technical skills
Do you feel that you need a certain level of education or training to be successful in your job?
What advice would you give to someone who was about to start work in your position/ line of work?
Get certified (DBA)
Long-term career plans
Is your current employment part of your overall career plan? Why or why not?
What are your current career goals?
start my own business
Is there anything else you would like to share about your career?
Prior work history
Please list your most recent jobs prior to this current job:
|Prior Job 1||architect||8||85k|
|Prior Job 2||lead||5||110k|
Please list your educational background:
High School GPA:4
|Graduate or Professional
(Masters or Doctorate)
Ask a Question of this Mentor
This mentor has opted to receive questions from people interested in this career or job position. Please be respectful of their time and willingness to help. Include some basic relevant background so they can intelligently answer your question.